Thursday, April 23, 2015

Tsukiji fish market - a food lover's wonderland (pictures)

I've always had a fascination with markets. I find that it is a good way to look at a country's food culture, outside the restaurants. Famous for its daily tuna auction, the fish market also has other interesting things. The wholesale market for example houses an astonishing variety of seafood and produce while the outer market is home to a wide range of shops and restaurants.

It was a must for me to visit the famed fish market during my last trip to Tokyo. It did not disappoint. My senses were given a treat as I looked and ate my way through the market.

The inner market:

Outside the wholesale market
shellfish - clams and crabs
Uni!!! (sea urchin) of different variety and quality
the wholesale market is so busy, I needed to be careful not to get hit by the machinery
Wasabi - the tiny ones that cost JPY8,000 were supposed to be the best
Sushi restaurants just outside the wholesale market 
Aritsugu kitchen knives

Outer Market

Vendor grilling sea scallops
Scallops, snapper and oysters waiting to be grilled
the grilled scallop had a natural sweetness

Row of restaurants and shops on one of the side streets

Prepacked abalone

Hair crabs - tasted buttery with a grainy texture

Man selling steam dumplings with wasabi mustard

No comments: