Friday, May 22, 2015

I like "crappy" beer

I've met my fair share of beer snobs, from the hipster who raves about an obscure craft beer from Portland to the know-it-all who has an encyclopedic knowledge of beer. The absolute worst however is the insufferable asshole who condescendingly remarks about the beer I'm  drinking, saying "I don't drink Tiger, it's a shit beer" or "there aren't any good beers in Asia." 

Never mind the various recognition  beers like Tiger and San Miguel pride themselves.That Corona which scored low in taste ratings is absolutely a superior beer.

I am not saying that an IPA or Russian Imperial Stout is not tasty. I enjoy the occasional craft beer, and have moments geeking out over Japanese craft beer and Belgian weissbier. However, there are days when I couldn't care less. I just want a cold beer and I want it now. it's a long day and I need a drink. There is a certain satisfaction that comes from having a beer after a hard day of work.

In a GQ article, Chef David Chang shared "I do not want a tasty beer" talking about his preference of beer. Hearing one of the world best known and most influential chefs say such a thing shows how ones taste can be affected by different reasons like taste, experience and nostalgia. Like how in the article, he shared how his grandfather likes having a beer after mowing the lawn, and later on understing what that meant.

I am not an expert, far from it. However, there are people out there who think they are experts and feel the need to be obnoxious. They take away the fun out of drinking a cold pint of beer. From my experience, beer is often a conduit for connecting people and celebrating victories. So it is arguable that some nostalgia can be associated with my go to beer. 

At the end of the day, drinking is supposed to be fun. Let's not overcomplicate it. The whole becomes annoyance because someone thinks he knows better and he feels the need to enlighten you with his self important views. Now, pardon me while I refresh myself with this horrible water down beer.

No comments: